Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Delicious part 2

OK - here's my real Del.icio.us post. Glad to see it is still here despite the panic. It did make me wonder though about the reliability of using such tools.
If you had months or years of work and sites stored on such a site - and then for what-ever reason it disappeared - that could be just heart-breaking.
I'm sure there must be ways of saving / backing up such info - but I wouldn't really know how, and I'm sure lots of people don't do this - they just rely on it always being available.

That said - I think sites like this and social bookmarking can be really great tools.
Definitely using tags is a good way to link into other information on your topic that other people have found useful.
I think tags would be really interesting to use with your library catalogue. I know that some libraries already use this. Patrons are so used to google searching and brief keywords - a lot of the classification we use is almost obsolete for them.
Allowing patrons to tag books and also then search by the tags that other customers have applied would be quite interesting to implement.
It goes away from our more traditional methods of cataloguing and applying subject headings - but often these are meaningless to customers anyway.
Del.icio.us is possibly most useful for me as a way to easily access bookmarks from different computers.
My trial account can be found at: Scritty's Bookmarks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To access your bookmarks from any computer is very useful especially if your work environment has you at different computers through the day.