Sunday, January 23, 2011

Facebook

It has been interesting re-visiting Facebook from a Library perspective again.
I mainly use Facebook on a purely personal level - as a way to catch up with friends and family.
So find it difficult to see it's uses from a Library perspective. I know that places like the national library board of Singapore have a Facebook application that allows patrons to access their library account from their Facebook page - but haven't really had the chance to examine that in depth.
The one Facebook Library use that I have seen that I liked and could see the use of was the Facebook page of Geraldton-Greenough Public Library. I like the way it show what's currently happening at the library, what's coming up, and how it showed all the photos of the library's renovations. I also liked the fact it just did all that quietly well before any of us were even looking at Facebook.
So that's the sort of thing I could see our library doing - if we ever got to that stage - at the moment our IT staff ban any access to Facebook - so we wouldn't be able to create a page for the library even if we wanted to!
Let alone allow our customers to access us via Facebook.

3 comments:

Luba said...

I don't know why some IT staff are so shortsighted when it comes to using Facebook as a marketing tool.

What's a wiki said...

I think if you've got a great library and you're doing great things why not show it off on facebook. Our IT also doesn't allow access, which smacks of censorship to me

Helen said...

I think it will be a great way to let people know what you are doing - and yes i can see it would be extremely difficult if you can't even access Facebook at work