Sunday, September 23, 2007

RSS

Ok so this week we are doing RSS and it is the thing that has taken me the longest to get.
I now "get it" but still can't see that I'd use it - I think this is why it was hard for me to "get" - as I just can't see that I'd use it - but I'm open to changing my mind.
I've gone into my Google Reader and had the first read of my posts or feeds - interesting but feels a little extravagant as I have so many things to do and spending time reading through the posts takes a while. I also have the problem of what do I do with them once read.
I find with all this stuff (and previously it has come into my inbox from different lists) - that I file away or leave in my inbox the useful or interesting stuff but never get time to go back and do anything with it.
So I feel like my Google reader is going to be exactly the same. I've starred the ones that look like they could be interesting or worth going back to - but I don't feel like I'll ever get back there.
I also find that you have to do that extra step of going to Google where-as with email it all just comes to me without any effort on my part!
But I'll keep checking the reader twice a week for the 23 things and see how I find it.
It feels a little like it is just adding to my information overload!!

3 comments:

Groucho Marx's Dog said...

ike a whole extra layer of effort required.
If it helps I found an add on for Firefox where it just puts a notification in your browser that you have new items to read in the bottom right hand corner.
If you want it, in firefox go to tools then add ons.
Click on get extensions and in the search bar type 'google reader'.
You can then install the reader and restart firefox, it should then pick up your new posts automatically.
Hope it helps :)

Scritty said...

thanks groucho - that is really cool

Librarian Kathryn said...

I like the idea of the add-on, which would work for some people.

For me, it would be a prob, as I use two computers regularly - often simultaneously - and don't want to be dependent on my browser. I don't want to carry around portable FF on a jump drive either.

Also - according to the stats on my google reader, I subscribe to 230 feeds - so given that something is always updating, I wouldn't want to be notified all the time.

But, as I said, the extension would work for some folk.