Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Last Post

Sounds like there should be music playing or at least a bugle...
So Kathryn has asked the following questions:
What have been the highs and lows of the 23 Things for you? Highs have definitely been the collaboration and team work amongst ELS staff. Also how creative they have been and outcomes like the WA VDX users blog.
Highs have also just been exploring the technology.
Seeing posts by people like Dianne and Pat who I know aren't into this stuff at all.

I'm not sure if finding out more about other people has been a high or low - sometimes its interesting to find out info about other people, sometimes it feels like it is blurring work with the personal a little too much for my comfort zones.

Helping lead a team of people through this has definitely had highs and lows - there's enthusiasm, energy and innovation; and there is also fear, resistance and negative responses. I'd have to say though the highs definitely out-weighed the lows on this one - though it was time and energy consuming to keep this sort of positivity going.

It can be frustrating too - with all the systems down yesterday - Twitter felt like the perfect medium to let people know what was happening - msn is one to one, email wasn't working, not everyone can access the refdesk blog - but no-one was on Twitter....

Where to next with emerging technologies? I think Library wide we need to discuss what would be useful for us to start using. Benefits of different tools, possible guidelines that we may need with their use.
For you? For me I want to look at a few things in ELS. I have ideas and haven't had time to do them. It will be one step at a time and is the sort of thing you keep putting off because it is so big - jobs that you can break down into manageable chunks are easier to tackle.
For libraries? For Libraries in general I just think we need to keep informed, keep skill levels up there and slowly the technologies will be incorporated into our services. For our Library I think what we need to do is not so much keep looking for new things to learn about (though good to do this) - but to actually spend some time working with the tools we've just learned about - as there is so much potential from them, and it would be very sad to lose that.

And no - I don't really think this will be my last post.......

No comments: